Saturday, March 30, 2019

When Goodbye Really Means Goodbye


Goodbye. It’s a word we use all the time. We may also say something like: see ya later, so long, farewell, bye-bye, and others, but goodbye has a more formal ring to it. But despite that, our intended meaning is often something like "until we meet again.”

I had a couple of cancer friends who died last year. In both cases, the last time I saw them we hugged and said goodbye to one another. I had no reason to believe that we would never see each other again.

Cancer is a cruel and unmerciful taskmaster. Alas, another lesson learned that bites like the bitter winter wind and knocked me off my feet like a right hook would from a champion boxer.

Always say goodbye like it may be the last. Sometimes goodbye really means goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cancer Living Cancer Talk #1

My first informal cancer talk from my home office. I discuss my diagnosis, my treatments, a little bit on chemotherapy terminology, and...